Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Un Chien Andalou

The intial viewing of this film had me with a handful of questions in my mind due to the incoherent explanation of the plot. Salvador Dali really questions the audience's sanity with the surreal visuals he expresses in this film. Whether it's a eye getting stabbed or maybe ants crawling out of a hand. I wondered though throughout the film that maybe there were some connections to Dali's life in this film. Such as the man and the woman constantly arguing may have some sort of reference towards the conflicts of love Dali experiences on a day to day basis. Although I was drawn into the creepy, surreal moments of the movie, I was more or less interested in the message Salvador Dali was trying to convey. If his paintings can say a lot without spoken word, what makes this film any different. I knew going into this movie that it was gonna be surreal so I wasn't too deprived of my sanity. This uneven storyline only questioned my mind even more as to what the purpose was to put that certain shot in. For example, the camera pans to a bed with a man on it then pans back to the lady where she suddenly moves to a certain direction out of the frame from which she enters a totally different setting of a beach where she walks with a different man. I was also curious why there was such an emphasis on hands in the films, maybe the hand was a symbol for something in Dalis life. Alls I can say is this film is needed to be seen more than once to fully understand what the director was trying to say to his audience that you might have not gotten the first time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment